- 1 small pumpkin (or butternut squash, or two small pie pumpkins – equal to 1.5 lbs.)
- a shitton of patience to break that bad boy down
- 2 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp thai red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsps firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tbsps coconut oil
- 1 ib chicken
- Deseed, skin and chop pumpkin into large bite-sized pieces. Boil until tender, about 7 minutes. (add salt if desired) Drain, set aside.
- Sear and brown chicken in 1 tbsp of coconut oil, set aside.
- In blender: combine shallots, garlic, curry paste, 2 tbsp of water and process until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar – stir to dissolve.
- In a wok or large fry pan, over medium heat, warm 2 tbsp of oil.
- Add curry base and cook until fragrant (about 1 min.)
- Stir in milk mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, veggies and pumpkin, reduce heat to low and simmer until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through.
I tend to cover the pan for the first ten minutes or so to steam the veggies a bit, but then cook uncovered, stirring occasionally so that the sauce will reduce.
Oh yeah, cook some rice while all this business is going on.
Add chopped basil, peanuts and dried coconut as garnish. That shit is so seasonal.